Have a brilliant summer!
Well done to pupils, staff and parents for making 2017-18 a brilliant year. We start back on Thursday 6th September 2018.
Home Learning Menus
The academy is currently reviewing its approach towards home learning. This is following parental feedback, impact analysis and literature review (EEF, Sutton Trust etc.) which has shown generalised home learning to have a minimal impact on children’s academic achievement and positive wellbeing.
Therefore, the academy will be piloting a new approach for the Spring term. The proposal is as follows:
- Phonics and spelling learning at home should continue as normal, children should be reading with parents every night.
- Any child who is meeting or exceeding the academic expectations for Mathematics or English in a year group will not receive compulsory home learning.
- If a child is not meeting their minimum age related expectation in a subject they will receive a compulsory piece of weekly home learning tailored to their individual needs to help them achieve their personalised goals – if this applies to your child we will inform you.
- If children/parents want to continue weekly home learning there will be a voluntary “menu” of tasks designed to complement the half termly learning objectives – this will be presented in class and the teacher will offer verbal feedback (example on reverse of letter). These will include tasks from across the curriculum and enrichment opportunities linked to the topics. Formal, written feedback will not be given to allow teachers to focus on providing high quality feedback on the compulsory home learning.
- Years 3-6 may continue to set project based learning opportunities to help prepare children for the move to secondary school but these will not require a weekly submission and will focus on developing independent and professional learning skills.
This arrangement will be tracked by the academy to see if there is a positive/negative impact on learning outcomes and pupil wellbeing. A review of this will also be conducted as part of the last parent forum of the term on the 7th March and a survey distributed over the Easter holiday- this will allow you to share your opinions on this model with us.
Following this, the academy will make a policy decision on whether to continue or discontinue the project.
HOME LEARNING MENUS
|SPRING TERM 1||SPRING TERM 2|
|Year 3 HL Menu Yr3 SP1.pdf||Year 3 HL Menu Yr3 SP2.pdf|
|Year 2||Year 2|
|Year 1||Year 1
|SUMMER TERM 1||SUMMER TERM 2|
|Year 4||Year 4|
|Year 3 HL Menu Yr3 SU1.pdf||Year 3 HL Menu Yr3 SU2.pdf|
|Year 1 HL Menu Yr1 SU2.pdf